Friday 26 March 2010

Review: No7 Shine Free Make-up Base

This product retails for £10.25 from boots for 40ml of product. The product claims to 'keep shiny skin under control all day long, with this mattifying oil-free base. Light-reflecting particles help disguise fine lines and flaws while oil absorbing Biopol helps minimise blemishes and blot shine without blocking pores.'

As I have said in previous posts I am very much a fan of the matte look. I do have oily skin sometimes and dry on others so getting the desired matte effect can be quite hard work depending upon what my skin is like. I thought that this was going to be my holy grail primer as I thought it would help give a bit of a matte effect as well as keeping my foundation in place which is what a primer is meant for. When I first applied this product I thought I had completely the wrong product, it seemed to give me a white, scaly look on my skin and make it look as though I hadn't moisturised in quite a while. It didn't help my foundation on any easier as it just caked up on these white scaly parts so I immediately removed the product and just did my normal routine without it.

After this experience I thought I would just throw this away. However, whilst watching a beauty guru on Youtube (whose name I can't remember sorry) I found a new way to apply it. This is because she applied it over the top of her foundation to mattify any oil areas like the nose and for me strangely I get really oily on the tops of my cheeks. By applying the product over the top of my foundation I don't get a scaly look I just look like I have got naturally matte skin which I like. As for all the claims of disguising flaws it doesn't do this for me personally. I dotted over the top of a couple of very small blemishes using both of my techniques and it didn't disguise them at all nor calm down any redness.

Overall, I think that if you are looking for a primer I wouldn't really recommend this but that is just my opinion. I don't like the fact that it made it harder to apply make-up when it is supposed to make application easier. However, I do think that if maybe you find it hard to apply finishing powder or you only have a few oily places you want to mattify I do think that this is a great option as it is so easy to use as you just dot on the oily patch and rub well into the skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment